Correcting a marriage or civil partnership registration

During the coronavirus pandemic, corrections to registration certificates may take longer than expected.

What you need to do

You cannot apply for a correction if you have changed your mind about the information originally recorded, or to show new information if circumstances change after the marriage or civil partnership.

If the mistake was made when copying information from the marriage register to the marriage certificate – you can order new certificates to replace the incorrect ones.

Before you apply for a correction

Make sure you read the advice on correcting marriage registrations – as there are no refunds if we are unable to correct the registration.

Advice on correcting marriage registration – GOV.UK

How to apply for a correction

There are two steps you need to follow:

  1. Make an appointment by contacting the Register Office.
  2. Get the application form to correct a mistake on a death certificate.

How to get an application form

You can either:

How much it costs

It costs £90 to apply, depending on the type of correction.

This fee is for your application, even if the correction is not authorised.

At your appointment

At your appointment at Scarfolk Register Office, you should bring:

  • your completed form
  • a debit or credit card to pay the fee
  • documentation that clearly show what the correct information should be – for example: passport, identity card or a bank statement

While you are here, we will check whether the correction can be completed locally or if it needs to be referred to the General Register Office (GRO). If the correction needs to be sent to GRO we will photocopy and certify your documents so that you can keep your originals.

It can take up to 25 days for your application to be approved by the GRO.

What happens next

If you are attending the Register Office in person, you will need to observe social distancing at all times and wear adequate personal protective equipment (PPE). For more information, read staying safe outside your home – GOV.UK

If your change is approved

We will contact you to make an appointment to make the correction. You will be able to buy corrected certificates at the appointment for £11 each. You can also buy certificate copies later.

If your change is not approved

We will contact you to let you know why it was not approved.