How to give notice

When to give notice

Giving notice involves attending an appointment at a register office where you will declare:

  • who you intend to marry or form a civil partnership with
  • where the ceremony will take place
  • that you are legally free to get married or form a civil partnership

This is a legal requirement that must be completed at least 29 days before the ceremony. In certain cases, depending on your immigration status, this may be extended to 71 days. Therefore, we advise that whenever possible you give notice at least 3 to 6 months before your ceremony.

If you or your partner is from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland

You may need to wait up to 70 days before your ceremony.

Where to give notice

You must make an appointment to see us at Scarfolk Register Office.

You must have lived in the district covered by that register office for at least the previous 7 days. If you and your partner live in different registration districts, you must each give notice separately, in the registration district you live in.

If you’re planning a Church of England wedding

Contact the church you plan to have your ceremony at to check what you must do to give notice.

Getting married abroad

Visit GOV.UK's getting married abroad webpage to find out where to get advice about local marriage laws and what documents you will need.