Information you need to provide

If you do not bring the required documentation, or do not meet the residency or other requirements, then the notice appointment will not be able to go ahead. You will need to book another appointment and pay the fee again. All documents provided must be originals.

You must bring originals of the following documents to your appointment:

  • details of the final venue for your ceremony
  • a valid passport, UK birth certificate (if you were born before 1 January 1983) or national identity card from the EU, European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland – GOV.UK
  • proof of your home address
  • proof of any name changes (for example, a copy of a deed poll)

Additional documents you may need to bring

If either of you is divorced or was in a civil partnership that has been dissolved, you must bring:

  • final divorce or dissolution document
  • marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • signed translation of any documents not in English

Foreign nationals wishing to marry in a Church of England

If you are a foreign national wishing to marry in a Church of England, you must bring a completed copy of the Church of England (COF) Approval Form to your Notice of Marriage appointment.

If you need us to check any foreign divorce papers

It costs £75 for us to check any foreign divorce papers.

We recommend giving notice 3 months in advance of your planned wedding or civil partnership for the checks to be completed, payable on the day by debit or credit card only.

If either of you had a spouse or civil partner that died

You must bring:

  • the marriage or civil partnership certificate
  • the spouse or civil partner’s death certificate

If either of you has changed your name

You must bring official proof of the name change.

If either of you is under 18 years old

You must bring a completed parental consent form (PDF, 611KB).

If you're not a UK citizen but you are a citizen of an EEA country or Switzerland

You must bring your passport or national identity document.

If you or your partner is from outside the EEA or Switzerland

Giving notice costs £47 per person if either of you are from outside the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland and both of you:

You must provide a passport style photo of each person. This will go with your application to the Home Office.

What you need to do

You need to give notice together at Scarfolk Register Office or another designated register office, even if you live in different districts.

The immigration authorities at the Home Office will be told. If this happens you may need to wait up to 70 days before getting married or forming a civil partnership. You must bring a visa or permit proving your right to get married in the UK.

Check your eligibility to get married or form a civil partnership before booking your appointment.